Pouring Strength and Efficiency into Your ICF Project / Poured Concrete Walls
Van Haren Construction has been a leader in Insulated Concrete Form Construction since 1989.
As homeowners and business owners become more and more environmentally conscious, so do their desires for energy efficient structures and environmentally mindful construction methods. As such, the construction industry as a whole has seen a great shift towards green and sustainable building practices. This shift has not been lost on Van Haren Construction.
As a professional concrete contractor established in 1969, Van Haren Construction has always known the construction benefits of concrete. When concrete advancements lead to taking those benefits from floors and integrating them into walls, it only made sense that our company follow suit. Thus, in 1989 we added Poured Concrete Walls and ICF Construction (Insulated Concrete Forms) to our service offerings.
Today poured concrete walls and ICF Construction have risen to the top of our service specialties. Whether you are planning to add a small ICF addition to your home or are developing a new efficient office structure, Van Haren Construction has the equipment and experience needed to successfully complete the job.
Contact Us for a free estimate, to receive a list of references, and to discuss the details of your next concrete building project.
Meeting Your ICF and Poured Concrete Needs
Recognized as a leading ICF Contractor throughout southern Minnesota, Van Haren Construction provides poured concrete for the following applications:
- New Home Builds
- Complete ICF Concrete Homes
- Commercial Buildings
- Home Additions
- Commercial Building Expansions
Learning Center — ICF Construction / Poured Concrete Walls
As a long-standing concrete contractor, Van Haren Construction has accumulated a list of common questions and associated answers related to ICF and poured concrete wall construction. Take a look below to learn more about the benefits and advantages that these advanced construction methods can provide for you.
Wood frame, steel frame and concrete block walls are 'hollow wall' construction methods consisting of various materials held together with nails, screws or mortar. Whereas, poured concrete walls are made up of ONE superior material forming a 'Solid Wall' system. The result is a massive solid barrier of protection for your home or business.
Solid concrete, whether it's walls or just the foundation, can provide many benefits for your structure:
- Poured concrete offers superior strength than that of block or concrete-filled block, which is the traditional foundation method.
- The solid, joint-free surface provides an innate water-proofing system for basements and foundations.
- The cost is very comparable to that of reinforced concrete-filled block.
- Poured concrete can be installed in thinner wall sections while still achieving greater compaction and overall strength.
- Virtually maintenance-free
Insulated Concrete Forms are essentially life-sized "Legos" made with a thick polystyrene (styrofoam) outer edge. Much like the red and blue toy building blocks from your childhood, ICF forms are stackable blocks with a hollow center. But unlike "legos," the hollow centers of insulated concrete forms are crisscrossed with reinforcing rebar. These durable and energy-efficient building blocks are used in all types of residential and commercial construction.
ICF Construction is a construction method that replaces traditional stick-frame materials with Insulated Concrete Forms (large "Lego" like building blocks). The thick foam blocks are precisely stacked and professionally filled with concrete to make-up the exterior walls for both residential and commercial structures. When utilizing ICF construction the end results are solid, permanent walls extending from the structures foundation to its roof.
Today's insulated concrete forms are manufactured to produce results. As such, ICF construction has an abundance of benefits over more traditional building methods:
- Structurally Superior – Stronger walls provide better resistance to high winds and severe weather. Concrete construction resists burning flames at much higher temperatures and for longer exposure rates than traditional building methods.
- Noise and Sound Reduction – ICF walls are solid, completely filled with rebar and concrete, allowing only one-sixth of common outdoor noise (such as barking dogs, lawn mowers, traffic, etc.) to pass through, leaving you with tranquil inside spaces.
- Mold, Mildew, Rot and Insect Resistance – Because ICF construction uses a solid material in the walls, there is no need to worry about rotting, decaying or insect infestations within your walls. The solid attributes of concrete also eliminate air and moisture infiltration into your home or commercial space, reducing mold and mildew growth.
- Energy Efficient – Structures built with ICF walls can expect to see an average savings of 20% or more on heating and cooling costs depending on geographic location.
- Environmentally Friendly – Many ICFs are made with recycled materials, are considered non-toxic by U.S. government agencies, and expel no emissions. The energy efficiency of ICF homes and commercial structures is another environmentally friendly benefit.
The flexibility and durability if insulated concrete form construction makes it a top-contender in virtually all areas of construction. From complete ICF homes and commercial buildings to retaining walls and safe rooms, ICF construction can be used just about anywhere:
- Complete ICF Structures – New Homes and Commercial Buildings
- Home Additions
- One-Story and Multi-Story Structures
- Privacy Walls
- Retaining Walls
- Roof Systems
- Safe Rooms
- Theater Rooms
Not typically, ICF construction can accommodate today's most popular design features, including high ceilings, large openings, long walls and even curved walls.